The following figures for the AEMET during 2013 outline the Agency’s dimensions, technological capacity and production.
Personnel: Staff of over 1,358, of whom 69% work in Territorial Meteorological Centres and 31% at the Headquarters
Annual budget: 82,692,560 €.
Computing power: Second highest institutional computing power in Spain.
Meteorological satellite data: Reception and processing of images and data from METEOSAT and GOES-East geostationary satellites and from TIROS-NOAA and METOP polar satellites
- 90 staffed observatories.
- 700 automatic observation stations.
- 7 on-land radio-sounding stations and 1 at sea, on board the “Esperanza del Mar”
- Network of 15 weather radars with doppler capacity.
- Network for lightning detection with 15 sensors on the Iberian peninsula and 5 on the Canary Islands.
- Network of 4,500 rainfall and temperature/rainfall stations supervised by amateur collaborators (about 4,900). This network is undergoing partial automation, with over 140 temperature/rainfall stations already installed and 400 in the process of purchase.